Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Police Department FAQ's

What are the Police Department hours?
The Police Department business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Police service is available 24 hours a day by calling 911, or via the phone in outer lobby of the Police Department.
What if I need police service after business hours?
In Woodridge, 911 is the number to call for all police assistance and services, emergencies and non-emergencies. The Police Department is available 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. In order to receive police service, please call 911 or come to the police station to use the red call box in the outer lobby which will immediately connect you to a police dispatcher. The Police Department is located at 7215 Janes Ave., Woodridge, IL 60517.
How can I pay my parking ticket after the Police Department hours of operation?
You may pay parking tickets at the Police Department during business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. There is also a drop box for payments located in the outer lobby of the Police Department, located at 7215 Janes Avenue, that is accessible 24 hours a day. You can pay online on the homepage of the Village website by clicking here. You will need your citation number in order to submit payment online.
When should I call 911?
Please call 911 immediately for any police services. It is important not to delay, if you think about calling 911 or wonder should I call 911, please call 911.
Can I still call the non-emergency number (630-719-4740) and will someone answer my call?
Yes. You can still call the non-emergency number of 630-719-4740. When you call during business hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, your call will be answered by an automated attendant that will provide options in order to best direct your call.
If I call the non-emergency number (630-719-4740) after business hours, will someone answer my call?
After business hours, when you call the non-emergency number, your call will be routed through an automated attendant, if you cannot find the right option, you will be given an opportunity to leave a message. Your message will be returned during business hours during the next business day.
What do I do if I have an after-hours Public Works emergency like a sewer back-up?
There is a Public Works employee on call 24 hours a day, available to respond to emergencies. Please call 9-1-1 and a Public Works employee will respond to any emergency. Non-emergency calls should be made directly to the Public Works Department during business hours 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at 630-719-4753.
What are the rules for parking on the street during snow emergencies?
It is unlawful for vehicles to park on any street within the Village whenever there is an accumulation of snow two inches or greater in depth.
What can be done about illegal vehicle parking in the Village?
Illegally parked vehicles should be immediately reported to the Police Department by calling 9-1-1. It is important to note that vehicles blocking sidewalks are prohibited. However, the Village understands overnight parking may cause the blockage of a section of sidewalk. The Police Department is directed to exercise tolerance and discretion in enforcing the sidewalk ordinance after 10 p.m. and before 5:30 a.m.
Does Woodridge have a curfew? What are the hours?
Yes, it is unlawful for any person age 16 years-old and younger to be present at, in, or on any public assembly, building, place, street, or highway within the corporate limits of the village unless accompanied by a parent or guardian, at any of the following times:
  • 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday through Thursday
  • 12 a.m. to 6 a.m., Friday and Saturday
Will the Woodridge Police Department take my fingerprints for a job application or professional license?
Yes, the Police Department provides fingerprinting for job applications or professional licensure, however, you must provide the fingerprint cards. There is a $10 fee for residents for up to two cards, with a $1 fee for every additional card. The fee for non- residents is $25 for up to two cards with a $5 charge for every additional card.  Credit card, check, or cash accepted (exact cash only). Organizations wishing to conduct mass fingerprinting of their employees should contact the Police Department at 630-719-4740.  The Police Department does not offer digital fingerprinting for CCL.
How do I get a car seat installed or have a car seat checked?
Residents may schedule car seat safety inspections by calling 630-719-6105 to schedule an appointment with the Traffic Safety Unit.  Due to the specialized nature of this service, we cannot honor walk-in requests. 
How can I obtain a copy of a crash report?
You can request a copy of a crash report in person by filling out a request form at the police department. The charge for the report is $5 (exact cash, credit card, or check only). You can also obtain a crash report by visiting  Please view their website for payment information.
How do I get a copy of a police report?

If you need a copy of a police report, you must fill out a Freedom of Information request and submit it to the Records Unit, which can be reached via telephone at 630-719-4742. You can submit your request in person, via email, or via fax. The department has five business days to respond to the request. After identity verification, the department can arrange to have the report picked up, mailed, or emailed, whichever is more convenient.

Who do I contact regarding how to become a police officer?
The Village of Woodridge conducts entry-level police officer testing approximately every two years. An eligibility list is established through our application and testing process. Visit our employment webpage for open opportunities. 
Does the department have internship opportunities?
Yes. When staff is available, the department will coordinate internships for students receiving credit for and enrolled in an accredited college or university. Preference is given to Woodridge residents first. You can make the request via email.
How does the village ensure that there is adequate police presence?
Officers are assigned to two divisions; Operations and Support. The Operations Division is the most visible component of the police department. Headed by a Deputy Police Chief and supervised by four patrol sergeants and one tactical sergeant, 35 patrol and tactical officers are responsible for responding to criminal complaints, traffic complaints, and miscellaneous calls for service in addition to providing high visibility patrol to residential and commercial properties on a daily basis.

The Support Division is headed by a Deputy Chief who oversees Investigations, Communications, Information Management, and Special Projects. A Crime Prevention Officer reports to the Administrative Sergeant. Investigations are supervised by a Sergeant to whom three Detectives report to. The Administrative Sergeant oversees special projects.
What can be done about speeding vehicles in the residential areas of the village?
The village actively monitors the speed of traffic in our community and tries to gain motorist compliance through a combination of education and enforcement. Our speed trailers are regularly deployed to warn inattentive motorists so they may adjust their speed accordingly. Speeding is consistently the most frequent traffic violation cited by the Woodridge Police Department. In fact, If you have a complaint about speeding vehicles in your neighborhood, you can call 630-719-4740 or email the department.
What can I do if a police officer acts in an unprofessional manner?

Police Department employees are expected to conduct themselves professionally. If you have a complaint about a police employee conducting themselves in an inappropriate manner, in that case, you may request to speak with the on-duty watch commander by calling 9-1-1 or visiting the police department. It should be noted, however, that the professional demeanor of a police employee is dictated by the circumstances facing that employee. Police brevity and a lack of expression are often the basis for unfounded complaints of discourteous conduct.

Why are bicyclists allowed to ride in the street?

According to the Illinois Vehicle Code, bicyclists are considered vehicles and are permitted to ride in the street. Bicyclists are required to follow the rules of the road in the same way as a motorized vehicles but have the right to use streets for riding. The village cannot force usage of the bike paths.

What is the village doing to prevent the use of loud car stereos?
Loud car stereos are a common problem in the spring and summer months when motorists drive with their windows down, and the music turned up. Not only is this disturbing to residents, it is against the law. If you hear this type of violation, you may contact the Police Department by dialing 9-1-1.

Be prepared to provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible, such as vehicle make, model, and license plate, so that the officers can properly respond to your call.
Does the department have a ride-along program?
Yes, we allow residents and others to ride along with police officers as time and personnel availability permit. In order to ride along, you must fill out the ride-along application and sign the waiver. Return both documents to the Police Department. The application will be forwarded to the Deputy Chief of Operations for review, approval, and scheduling.   
How can I find out about crime in my neighborhood?
You may learn more about crime information in Woodridge and police department activity and community outreach by visiting the Woodridge Police Department Information Portal - this website maps crime according to geographic location, allowing you to see precisely where crimes occurred. 
How do I contest a parking ticket?

Contact the records department via telephone at 630-719-4742 or stop into the Police Department during business hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Records Department will assign a court date. The department is located at: 7215 Janes Avenue, Woodridge, IL 60517

What do I do if my car is towed or seized by the Woodridge Police Department?
If your vehicle has been towed and the officer indicated that your car will be released to you, you can contact the arresting officer. If the police officer indicates that your car has been seized, please call the Tactical Sergeant at 630-960-8918 or visit the Police Department Station and ask to speak to the Tactical Sergeant. The department is located at 7215 Janes Avenue, Woodridge, IL 60517
If I call 9-1-1 from a cell phone will the dispatcher still know where to send the police officer?
While cell phones can be a significant public safety tool, they do not provide the caller's exact location for emergency response personnel. Therefore, residents are advised to alert the dispatcher of their location immediately when dialing 9-1-1.

The Smart911 Program addresses this concern and is a free service that helps you communicate more effectively during emergencies. By registering your phones with Smart911, you can provide dispatchers and emergency response personnel with relevant medical and location information about members of your household, including children, the elderly, and pets, that can assist in the event of an emergency. Smart911 is a free service to DuPage County residents. If you make a 9-1-1 call from your Smart911-verified phone number, your stored critical care and emergency information is automatically made available on the computer screen of 9-1-1 dispatchers where the Smart911 software has been installed.

All residents of DuPage County are encouraged to register through Smart911. In order to participate in this program, you must go to their website and register your cell phone number. You may provide as much or as little information as you want.