- Worn and torn American flags can be recycled using the VFW drop box located in the lobby of the Public Works/Police Department lobby at 1 Plaza Drive.
- American Flags are also accepted at DuPage County Veteran's Assistance Commission, 421 North County Farm Road, 1st Floor, Wheaton, IL.
Call (630) 458-0760 to learn more about carpet recycling from PCI Flortech, Inc. located in Addison, IL.
Compact FluorescentLight (CFL) Recycling
- Compact Fluorescent Bulb recycling is available at Home Depot, 7200 Woodward Avenue, Woodridge, IL.
If you would like to donate some clothing or household goods, AMVETS is a popular option. AMVETS can schedule a pick-up. To schedule a pick-up, please call (708) 388-7800 or visit American Veterans.
Styrofoam Recycling - #6 Polystyrene
Hate seeing polystyrene coffee cups going to landfills? What about your foam packaging around the new laptop you just bought? Most residential curbside recycling programs do not allow #6, so now you can recycle foam at Dart Container Corp in North Aurora. This recycling plant now has a new machine that grinds the foam into small pieces and compresses it into a 20 pound block. The recycled plastic foam is used to make sun visors, rulers, egg cartons, lumber and other products.
Be aware of the following guidelines before dropping off # 6 Polystyrene:
- Items must be relatively clean, so wipe clean your foam food packaging
- Separate packaging foam from food-service foam - there are different bins for each
- Only drop off food-service or packaging foam - no fire-retardant insulation or roofing materials
- Packaging peanuts are not accepted
- To recycle foam, you must drop off to the location in Aurora - it is not a part of your home / residential curbside services
Dart Container Corporation
315 Evergreen Drive
North Aurora, IL 60542 (south of I-88 and west of Route 31)
24 hour drop off - bins are outside.
Additional Resources & InformationDuPage County recycling events - send an email for specific information on upcoming events.