My garbage was not picked up. Who should I contact?

Contact Groot Industries directly at 1-888-485-0900

What do I need to register to vote?
You’ll need two forms of identification; your Illinois driver’s license or state ID and another ID that shows your current address, such as a utility bill. Your driver’s license must be current and not expired.

Additionally, if you were born outside the U.S. you will need to provide the place and the complete date of your naturalization. If you’d like additional information, contact the DuPage County Elections Commission at 630-407-5600 or visit their website
How do I obtain a Handicap Parking Placard?
State of Illinois Handicap Placards can be obtained by using the State of Illinois Persons with Disabilities Certification for Plates or Parking Placard Form.

Side A must be completed by the attending physician. Side B is to be completed by the applicant. Once completed, the form can be returned to Village Hall where a Temporary Handicap Parking Placard will be issued to you. State of Illinois Parking Placard Form
Do I need a license to host a raffle in the Village?

Any not-for-profit organization planning to host a raffle in the Village is required to first obtain a raffle license. Applying for a license is easy and it's free. Simply fill out the one-page form found on the Village website, and submit it to the Clerk's Office. Please note that a minimum of ten (10) days prior to the event is required to process your application. 

Building Inspections & Permits

What work requires a permit?
Any work that requires a structural change such as:

  • Alterations involving moving or adding walls
  • All electrical and plumbing work
  • All fire suppression and detection work
  • All HVAC work;
    • Sheds
    • Fences
    • Decks
    • Roofs
    • Driveways
    • Patios
    • Private walks
    • Parking lots
    • Pools
    • Hot tubs
    • Spas or exterior wall mounted signs

If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, contact the Community Development at 630-719-4750.
Why do I need a permit?
Permits provide the property owner with the following:

  • The contractor chosen to perform the work has the appropriate documentation on file with the village, specifically, license, bond or insurance
  • The required inspections are completed so that the project meets the minimum construction standards required by code
  • The intended project is designed to meet our codes

See contractor requirements for more information.
When does a permit expire?

Once a permit is issued, it is valid for a period of one year. Work must begin on the permit within 90 days of issuance. If work is started but not completed and the project is not progressing for a period of 45 days the permit becomes void. Where work under the permit has started and construction activity has stopped for a continuous period of 45 days, all rights under that permit is terminated. As such, the fee is forfeited and it becomes part of the general fund.

Which contractors need insurance, bond and licenses?

See contractor requirements for more information.

Do I need a permit to put a new roof on my home?

Yes, a permit is required to do roofing work. The Village of Woodridge allows for an original layer plus one layer, for a maximum of two layers before a complete tear off is required.

Do I need a permit to install siding on my home?

No, a permit is not required to install siding on your home.

Do I need a permit for a temporary sign?

A permit is not required. However, all temporary signs require written approval prior to being installed by the Building Commissioner. See additional requirements for more information.

What are the regulations for signs?

The sign regulations can be found here

Do I need a permit to put replace windows or doors on my home?

No, a permit is not required to replace windows or doors on your home. A replacement window / door refers to removing and replacing the window / door to size. If windows or doors are going to be enlarged, reduced or changed to a door, a permit is required.

If I do any work to my home, will my property taxes be increased?

The Township Assessor’s Office is the responsible taxing authority for Woodridge. If you are interested in determining whether or not your taxes will be increased, please contact the Assessor’s Office and they will be able to give you information on the type of projects that will increase your property taxes

When am I obligated to contact JULIE?

Many activities require notification of JULIE (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators) before you dig for safe digging in Illinois. Some of these activities, such as tree planting, patio construction and landscaping, do require a call to JULIE even though they do not require a building permit. For more information, contact JULIE at 8-1-1 or 1-800-892-0123.

Community Development

What work requires a permit?
Any work that requires a structural change such as

  • Alterations involving moving or adding walls
  • Electrical and plumbing work
  • Fire suppression and detection work
  • HVAC work
  • Sheds, fences, decks, roofs, driveways, patios
  • Parking lots and private walks
  • Pools, hot tubs, spas
  • Exterior wall mounted signs

If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, contact the Community Development Department at 630-719-4750.
What is planning?

Planning is the process that considers the physical, social, and economic aspects of the community and examines the connections between them. Community Development Planning is how we make decisions about the future of our city. The goal of planning is to further the welfare of our community by creating convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, economically viable, and attractive places for current and future generations.

Human Resources

How do I apply for a job with the Village of Woodridge?
When a position is posted, the employment application is available on the "Job Opportunities" page of the website. You may also pick up an employment application at Village Hall during regular business hours (8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday).

Submit your application via email, by fax to 630-719-0021, or by mail to:

Village of Woodridge
Attn. Human Resources
5 Plaza Dr.
Woodridge, IL 60517

Please include a resume with salary history and references along with your employment application. Applications will only be accepted when an open position exists. All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
What is the next step once I apply?

Applications for positions that are currently posted are reviewed by Human Resources staff as well as the hiring manager or supervisor. Only applicants who meet the position requirements will be considered. Once interviews have been scheduled with selected applicants, all other applicants will receive an email or letter advising them of their status.

How do I know if the village received my application or if the position has been filled?

Applicants who provide us with their email address will receive a confirmation email advising them that the village has received their application. All other applicants will receive a postcard advising them that their application has been received.

What is the interview process? Will I be tested?
Typically, interviews are conducted by an interview panel consisting of the hiring manager or supervisor, human resources staff, and other staff as appropriate. Interviews usually last 30 to 40 minutes.

Applicants may be tested for particular knowledge and skills, as required by the position. If testing will occur, applicants will be advised when they are contacted to schedule the interview.
May I send an application or resume to be kept on file for future use?

Unsolicited resumes and applications are not retained by the Village of Woodridge.


How do I contact a Village department?
Visit the Staff Directory to find all department and staff contact information.
Where can I find information on agenda items considered by the Village Board?

The Village hosts an information portal that has Village Board agendas, minutes, and videos of meetings. Visit the information portal.

Where can I find the answers to my frequently asked questions?

Use the FAQs module to easily find answers to the questions you ask the most.


What are the Police Department hours?

The Police Department business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Police service is available 24 hours a day by calling 9-1-1- or via the phone in outer lobby of the Police Department.

What if I need police service after business hours?

In Woodridge, 9-1-1 is the number to call for all police assistance and services, emergencies and non-emergencies.The Police Department is available 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. In order to receive police service, please call 9-1-1 or come to the police station to use the phone in the outer lobby which will immediately connect you to a police dispatcher. The Police Department is located at 1 Plaza Dr Woodridge, IL 60517.

How can I pay my parking ticket after the Police Department hours of operation?

You may pay parking tickets at the Police Department during business hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. There is also a drop box for payments located in the outer lobby of the Police Department, located at 1 Plaza Drive, that is accessible 24 hours a day. You can pay online on the homepage of the Village website by clicking on the Online Bill Pay icon. You will need your citation number in order to submit payment online.

When should I call 9-1-1?

Please call 9-1-1 immediately for any police services. It is important not to delay, if you think about calling 9-1-1 or wonder should I call 9-1-1, please call 9-1-1.

Can I still call the non-emergency number (630-719-4740) and will someone answer my call?

Yes. You can still call the non-emergency number of 630-719-4740. When you call during business hours of 8:00 a.m. -4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, your call will be answered by an automated attendant that will provide options in order to best direct your call.

If I call the non-emergency number (630-719-4740) after business hours, will someone answer my call?

After business hours, when you call the non-emergency number, your call will be routed through an automated attendant, if you cannot find the right option, you will be given an opportunity to leave a message. Your message will be returned during business hours during the next business day.

What do I do if I have an after-hours Public Works emergency like a sewer back-up?

There is a Public Works employee on call 24 hours a day, available to respond to emergencies. Please call 9-1-1 and a Public Works employee will respond to any emergency. Non-emergency calls should be made directly to the Public Works Department during business hours 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at 630-719-4753.

What are the rules for parking on the street during snow emergencies?

It is unlawful for vehicles to park on any street within the Village whenever there is an accumulation of snow two inches or greater in depth.

What can be done about illegal vehicle parking in the Village?

Illegally parked vehicles should be immediately reported to the Police Department by calling 9-1-1. It is important to note that vehicles blocking sidewalks are prohibited. However, the Village understands overnight parking may cause the blockage of a section of sidewalk. The Police Department is directed to exercise tolerance and discretion in enforcing the sidewalk ordinance after 10 p.m. and before 5:30 a.m.

Does Woodridge have a curfew? What are the hours?
Yes, it is unlawful for any person age 16 years-old and younger to be present at, in, or on any public assembly, building, place, street, or highway within the corporate limits of the village unless accompanied by a parent or guardian, at any of the following times:

  • 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday through Thursday
  • 12 a.m. to 6 a.m., Friday and Saturday
Will the Woodridge Police Department take my fingerprints for a job application or professional license?

Yes, the Police Department provides fingerprinting for job applications or professional licensure, however, you must provide the fingerprint cards. There is a $10 fee for residents for up to two cards, with a $1 fee for every additional card. The fee for non- residents is $25 for up to two cards with a $5 charge for every additional card.

How do I get a car seat installed or have a car seat checked?

Residents may schedule car seat safety inspections by calling 630-719-6105 to schedule an appointment with the Traffic Safety Unit.

How do I get a copy of a crash report?

You can request a copy of a crash report in person by filling out a request form at the police department. The charge for the report is $5 (cash or check only). You can also obtain a crash report by visiting one of the following websites, depending on the date of the crash. If your accident occurred prior to March 2, 2014, please visit https://docview.us.com. The charge for this site is $11. If your accident occurred on or after March 2, 2014, please visit https://policereports.lexisnexis.com. The charge for this site is $13.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

If you need a copy of a police report you have to fill out a Freedom of Information request and submit it to the Records Unit, which reached via telephone at 630-719-4742. You can submit your request in person, via email or via fax. The department has five business days to respond to the request. After verification of identity, the department can then arrange to have the report picked up, mailed, or emailed, whichever is more convenient.

Who do I contact regarding how to become a police officer?

The Village of Woodridge conducts entry level police officer testing approximately every two years. An eligibility list is established through our application and testing process. To receive notification on the next testing process please sign up for Notify Me on the Village's Main Web Page.

Does the department have internship opportunities?

Yes. When staff is available, the department will coordinate internships for students receiving credit for and enrolled in an accredited college or university. Perference is given to Woodridge residents first. You can make the request via email.

How does the village ensure that there is adequate police presence?
Officers are assigned to two divisions; Operations and Support. The Operations Division is the most visible component of the police department. Headed by a Deputy Police Chief and supervised by four patrol sergeants and one tactical sergeant, 35 patrol and tactical officers are responsible for responding to criminal complaints, traffic complaints, and miscellaneous calls for service in addition to providing high visibility patrol to residential and commercial properties on a daily basis.

The Support Division is headed by a Deputy Chief who oversees Investigations, Communications, Information Management, and Special Projects. A Crime Prevention Officer reports to the Administrative Sergeant. Investigations is supervised by a Sergeant to whom three Detectives report to. The Administrative Sergeant oversees special projects.
What can be done about speeding vehicles in the residential areas of the village?
The village actively monitors the speed of traffic in our community and tries to gain motorist compliance through a combination of education and enforcement. Our speed trailers are regularly deployed to warn inattentive motorists so they may adjust their speed accordingly. Speeding is consistently the most frequent traffic violation cited by the Woodridge Police Department.

In fact, If you have a complaint about speeding vehicles in your neighborhood you can call 630-719-4740 or email the department.
What can I do if a police officer acts in an unprofessional manner?

Police Department employees are expected to conduct themselves professionally. If you have a complaint about a police employee conducted themselves in an inappropriate manner, you may request to speak with the on-duty watch commander by calling 9-1-1 or visiting the police department. It should be noted, however, that the professional demeanor of a police employee is dictated by the circumstances facing that employee. Police brevity and a lack of expression are often the basis for unfounded complaints of discourteous conduct.

Why are bicyclists allowed to ride in the street?

According to the Illinois Vehicle Code, bicyclists are considered vehicles and are permitted to ride in the street. Bicyclists are required to follow the rules of the road in the same way as a motorized vehicle, but do have the right to utilize streets for riding. The village cannot force usage of the bike paths.

What is the village doing to prevent the use of loud car stereos?
Loud car stereos are a common problem in the spring and summer months when motorists drive with their windows down and the music turned up. Not only is this disturbing to residents, it is against the law. If you hear this type of violation, you may contact the Police Department by dialing 9-1-1.

Be prepared to provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible, such as vehicle make and model and license plate, so that the officers may properly respond to your call.
Does the Police Department have a ride-along program?

Yes, we do allow residents and others to ride along with police officers as time and personnel availability permit. In order to ride along, you must fill out the ride along application and sign the waiver.  Return both documents to the Police Department.  The application will be forwarded to the Deputy Chief of Operations for review, approval and scheduling.   

Ride-Along Application
Ride-Along Waiver

How can I find out about crime in my neighborhood?
You may learn more about crime information in Woodridge and police department activity and community outreach by visiting the Woodridge Police Department Information Portal.

- this website maps crime according to geographic location allowing you to see exactly where crimes occurred. Also you can access FBI crime statistics .
How do I contest a parking ticket?

Contact the records department via telephone at 630-719-4742 or stop into the Police Department during business hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Records Department will assign a court date. The department is located at: 1 Plaza Dr.Woodridge, IL 60517

What do I do if my car is towed or seized by the Woodridge Police Department?

If your vehicle has been towed and the officer indicated that your car will be released to you, you can contact the arresting officer. If the police officer indicates that your car has been seized, please call the Tactical Sergeant at 630-960-8918 or visit the Police Department Station and ask to speak to the Tactical Sergeant. The department is located at 1 Plaza Dr. Woodridge, IL 60517

If I call 9-1-1 from a cell phone will the dispatcher still know where to send the police officer?
While cell phones can be an important public safety tool, they do not provide the caller's exact location for emergency response personnel. Therefore, residents are advised to alert the dispatcher of your location immediately when dialing 9-1-1.

The Smart911 Program addresses this concern and is a free service that helps you communicate more effectively during emergencies. By registering your phones with Smart911, you can provide dispatchers and emergency response personnel with relevant medical and location information about members of your household, including children, the elderly, and pets that can assist in the event of an emergency. Smart911 is a free service to DuPage County residents. If you make a 9-1-1 call from your Smart911-verified phone number, your stored critical care and emergency information is automatically made available on the computer screen of 9-1-1 dispatchers where the Smart911 software has been installed.

All residents of DuPage County are encouraged to register through Smart911. In order to participate in this program, you must go to their website and register your cell phone number. You may provide as much or as little information as you want.