- Serving as champions of diversity, equity, equality, and inclusion in Woodridge
- Providing an opportunity for dialogue and engagement
- Increasing inclusive community connectedness in a meaningful and sustainable way
- Identifying ways in which to celebrate our diverse community
Village board passes diversity resolution - 2022During the Thursday, October 15, 2020 Board Meeting, the Village Board passed a resolution "Celebrating the Diversity of Our Community and Affirming the Village’s Commitment to Diversity, Equality, Equity, and Inclusion for All". One outcome of this resolution is the future creation of an ad hoc human relations advisory committee. This resolution reaffirms the Village’s values that we are a welcoming, inclusive, and equitable community.
The full resolution can be read below
Resolution 2020-81: A Resolution Celebrating the Diversity of Our Community and Affirming the Village’s Commitment to Diversity, Equality, Equity, and Inclusion for All
WHEREAS, the Village of Woodridge (the “Village”) is a home rule municipality in accordance with the Constitution of the State of Illinois of 1970;
WHEREAS, the Village has the authority to adopt resolutions and to promulgate rules and regulations that pertain to its government and affairs that protect the public health, safety and well-being of our citizens;
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Village Board believes that all individuals living in, working in, owning a business, or visiting the Village should be treated with respect, dignity, and fairness;
WHEREAS, the Village is committed to continuing to build an inclusive and safe community, where all persons are welcome, accepted, and protected;
WHEREAS, the Village Board, recognizes that what makes the Village unique and special is a forward-thinking environment that invites healthy community engagement and acceptance of all people;
WHEREAS, the Village’s continued efforts to promote understanding and collaboration between all of our residents are crucial in encouraging and preserving Woodridge’s welcoming environment;
WHEREAS, we recognize that diversity is one of our Village’s strengths, and is our future, and this diversity encompasses people of color, people with disabilities, older persons, LGBTQ, people of different faiths, nationalities, beliefs and cultural views and more;
WHEREAS, the Village of Woodridge is committed to acting with equality, inclusion, and respect for all in our decision-making processes with the goal of continuing to build an inclusive and equitable community for all;
WHEREAS, the Village Board recognizes the importance of continuing to build upon our diverse, inclusive, and equitable community in order to ensure a vibrant, prosperous, and healthy Woodridge for generations to come.
BE IT RESOLVED by the Mayor and Board of Trustees of the Village of Woodridge, DuPage, Will and Cook Counties, Illinois, a home rule municipality in the exercise of its home rule powers, that, in accordance with the fundamental principles set forth in our country’s Declaration of Independence, which asserts as a fundamental basis that all people are created equal and are endowed with the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness:
- SECTION 1: The Village hereby rejects prejudice and injustices of any kind based on race, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin.
- SECTION 2: The Village Board hereby condemns the actions, speech, and attitudes of those who promote hate or intolerance of any kind.
- SECTION 3: The Village strives to value all citizens, and be a welcoming place to all people, that vows to cultivate and support a culture of compassion, kindness, and protection;
- SECTION 4: The Village Board hereby declares and reaffirms its commitment, in collaboration with all residents, to pursue policies and take action to ensure civil and human rights to all individuals;
- SECTION 5: The Village Board encourages our fellow residents, businesses, civic groups, and sister agencies to do all in their power and spheres of influence to ensure that all are welcome and included;
- SECTION 6: The Village Board is committed to evaluating, developing and instituting model programs, policies, and/or practices in furtherance of its commitment to prioritizing Village diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives;
- SECTION 7: The Village Board supports Village memberships in organizations or associations to help the Village address issues of equality, equity, and inclusion for all, and to gain access to important resources and expertise; and
- SECTION 8: The Village Board furthermore supports the creation of an ad hoc human relations advisory committee of the Village whose purpose would include, but not be limited to, (i) helping deepen our Village’s understanding of diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion, and (ii) facilitating meaningful community connections, conversations, and dialogue around diversity,